DallasFood.org Forums: China's money-no-object thirst for wine - DallasFood.org Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

China's money-no-object thirst for wine

#1 User is offline   FatCap 

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

From the Wall Street Journal. The Chinese are going to cause Worzel to cut back to just six cases of the '09 Lafite. :P

#2 User is offline   DonnieC 

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

Seems like we go through this charade every 10 years or so.
First it was the Germans, then the English, then the Aussies, then the Japanese, then the Russians and now its the Chinese.
The world's #1 economy du jour is always a sucker for the "best" wines. Best because they have not drunk wine in the past, know nothing about it now and drink it strictly for show. This too will pass.

In Japan many years ago I was at a business dinner/all night party, so typical of the Japanese business customs at the time, with a large tableful of drunken local execs and a bevy of "hostesses". These guys were on the expense account and so to impress the women, they ordered a bottle of Romanee Conti for each person. This is and was the finest burgundy money can buy, but the vintage available that night was a very recent one and was not even close to being drinkable yet. The men didn't care, they were drunk and sucked it down anyway and the women mixed theirs with coke. Over ice.

btw $2,000 a bottle equates to about $700 for a short pour. $702 if ordered tall with coke over ice.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

#3 User is offline   Kirk 

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

DonnieC said:

...mixed theirs with coke. Over ice.

Someone recently told me that this is how many Chinese drink wine, too.

Then again, I remember certain relatives of mine who used to mix my father's very fine Scotch with ginger ale.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic