DallasFood.org Forums: Throwback: Pepsi & Mountain Dew - DallasFood.org Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Throwback: Pepsi & Mountain Dew

#1 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

Teresa Gubbins sounds an alert about limited edition cane sugar Pepsi and Mountain Dew.

Scott

#2 User is offline   sanderw 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Honestly, is it really possible to taste the difference? I thought chemically corn syrup wasn't really different from cane sugar.

#3 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

sanderw said:

Honestly, is it really possible to taste the difference? I thought chemically corn syrup wasn't really different from cane sugar.

Table sugar = 100% sucrose. HFCS = 55% fructose, 45% glucose. They're metabolized in the same way, but that doesn't mean they're identical in taste or mouthfeel. I'm not sure if there are other tweaks in the formula beyond the substitution of sweetener.

Incidentally, contrary to my comment above, the drinks don't specify "cane sugar," but merely "sugar" (which could be beet sugar, cane sugar, or a combination).

Scott

#4 User is offline   air 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Drinks with HFCS generally leave a gritty feeling along my teeth and aren't as smooth/crispy as the ones made with real sugar.

Googling around, there are discussions that claim the recent distribution of Throwbacks and the upcoming Heritage Dr. Pepper are all made with beet sugar. I honestly can't taste a difference compared to the Summer 2009 release of the Throwbacks. Still haven't seen the Heritage stuff around here but I'm not too worried since I regularly stop by Chicken Express for my fix.

#5 User is offline   JMLima 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

air said:

Googling around, there are discussions that claim the recent distribution of Throwbacks and the upcoming Heritage Dr. Pepper are all made with beet sugar. I honestly can't taste a difference compared to the Summer 2009 release of the Throwbacks. Still haven't seen the Heritage stuff around here but I'm not too worried since I regularly stop by Chicken Express for my fix.

There is no difference chemically between beet and cane sugar so any discussion about a switch from one to the other shouldn't be a cause for concern. The processing of each is different, but the end result is the same as long as you're talking about refined sugar. The only difference between the two is that you can't get "raw" sugar from beets like you can from cane.

#6 User is offline   slewfoot 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Want to taste the difference?
Next time you find yourself at Fiesta, or the like, buy a bottle or two of Jarritos soda.
The difference is quite pronounced once you get away from the generic cola taste.

#7 User is offline   primi_timpano 

• LocationDallas

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

I was at a taqueria the other day and ordered a Mexican Coca-Cola. It was the genuine article but the ingredients label stated it had a either sugar, HFCS, or a combination of the two. I'll go for the Jarritos next time.

#8 User is offline   tgubbins 

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

i take the blame for identifying it as cane sugar, that's what i thought the folks from Pepsi said and i've since modified the headline on my story to show that. sorry for confusion. although truthfully, i don't know if i could tell the difference in a Pepsi with cane vs. beet sugar. but sander, to answer your question, i do taste the difference in a Pepsi with sugar vs. a Pepsi with HFCS.

#9 User is offline   air 

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

They're back on the shelves again. Tom Thumb has a buy 2, get 3 free sale this week, which translates to 5 twelve packs for $9.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic