DallasFood.org Forums: Banned from Chowhound? - DallasFood.org Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Banned from Chowhound?

#1 User is offline   slewfoot 

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

Seems I've been banned from Chowhound for being a smartass. Hardly a huge loss, those guys have no sense of humor at all, but has anyone else had the same honor?

#2 User is offline   Worzel_Gummidge 

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

slewfoot said:

Seems I've been banned from Chowhound for being a smartass. Hardly a huge loss, those guys have no sense of humor at all, but has anyone else had the same honor?

I wasn't banned but I left because I was tired of my posts, some of which took considerable time to prepare, being censored by a high school student in the Philippines who didn't even understand the issues, without notice, without appeal, and without anybody taking taking responsibility. Chowhound is run by CNET, which has absolutely no interest in the content. They just want to sell advertising.

You will, incidentally, find other regulars on DallasFood who were banned from Chowhound like you. They all make a great contribution here.

#3 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

Welcome to the club. As Worzel said, you're not the only one here to have been banned, suspended, or otherwise run off from Chowhound.

Scott

#4 User is offline   air 

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

Another here. Haven't been banned yet but I've had plenty of posts deleted and had my account suspended a few times.

#5 User is offline   slewfoot 

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

Can't tell you how happy I am knowing I'm in good company. I'm new to this blog, but it seems a bit more... liberal, and a bit less... literal.
Now pardon me while I plan smartass things to say.
:lol:

#6 User is offline   DonnieC 

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:26 AM

slewfoot said:

smartass things to say.

Sorry, but "Kirk" currently occupies that chair.

Posted Image
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

#7 User is offline   BK 

• LocationDallas

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Yes, "Kirk" has a tight hold on that chair!

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   luniz 

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

Well that's never happened to me, they love every single one of my posts, even when I told them they could go !$#%@ themselves with a frozen hatch pepper. #$@$%@ing fascists.

#9 User is offline   adkim 

• Locationomnipresent

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

banned from chowhound? air, suspended account? freakin' hilarious. a few of my last posts have been deleted b/c i attacked the original poster for ridiculous inquiries or comments and always wondered when they would send me to the corner for timeout.

one of my favorite smartass comments:

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/542004

#10 User is offline   donnaaries 

• LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

I needed to read that again for a good laugh today :lol:

#11 User is offline   BK 

• LocationDallas

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

And African is the new Dutch.

#12 User is offline   FatCap 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

luniz said:

Well that's never happened to me, they love every single one of my posts, even when I told them they could go !$#%@ themselves with a frozen hatch pepper. #$@$%@ing fascists.

It's true. I was delivering Pizza Hut to the CHOW offices the other day, and they told me to put it on the shrine to luniz. The shrine's got an HP engineering plotter-drawn avatar they picked out for luniz, since he's too shy to choose for himself, but with his user name spelled out underneath with appliqué that, indeed, looked to be in the style of a well-known Asian prison, along with the word "Dangerous". It also had smoking incense and lots of little "offerings"--candy corns, Pez dispensers, pistachio baklava, sake fugu, and the like--encircling a bowl of frozen naga jolokia, which a CNET staffer would periodically spray with liquid nitrogen. Apparently the pies were to be "blessed" before consumption, mostly by a huddled group of 19, staring at a single computer monitor, sharing a single cubicle with "luniz Watch" on the name plate.

It was surreal and, to be honest, a bit much for one as sensitive as I. Plus I'm kinda sorta allergic to incense smoke. And candy corn. And pecans, I think (besides, almonds are the greatest nuts in the world). I asked my boss to not have to deliver there again.
:lol:

#13 User is offline   Soulslinger 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:49 PM

I was banned from Chowhound for some reason I forgot about long ago. I created a new account. I still try to post a little but the "educated" crowds have gotten very slim and I am very selective about what to write about. I like the writing practice I guess.

I just haven't been on any exotic trips of any noteworthiness in the past year or so, like others on this board.

#14 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

FatCap said:

And pecans, I think (besides, almonds are the greatest nuts in the world).

If you took the time to review the Terms of Use you agreed to when you registered to participate in this forum (specifically, §8.15(a)), you would realize that statement is grounds for immediate administrative suspension of your account. I'll let you off with a warning this time.

Scott

#15 User is offline   FatCap 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

Scott--DFW said:

FatCap said:

And pecans, I think (besides, almonds are the greatest nuts in the world).

If you took the time to review the Terms of Use you agreed to when you registered to participate in this forum (specifically, §8.15(a)), you would realize that statement is grounds for immediate administrative suspension of your account. I'll let you off with a warning this time.

Scott

Help me, TG!

H-E-L-P M-E !!!

#16 User is offline   tgubbins 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

FatCap i'd like to help, but my account has been suspended. :lol: !!!
lately i've been hangin out at the nutfarm
http://www.nutsforal...m/nutrition.htm

[Mod. Note: Hyperlink added in the interest of accuracy.]

#17 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

Three years ago, the CNET folks split the Chowhound Texas board into "Austin" and "Everything in Texas Except Austin" boards. Many Chowhounds complained of the stupidity of that decision at the time (e.g., here and here). In response to yet more complaints, Jim Leff posted the following (three years ago to the day):

Jim Leff said:

We very badly need to make geographical fixes all around. It's the thing I've long been most ashamed of about the site - one board for the Midwest? Or for the South? Yikes!

We recognize (oh, do we recognize) the gaps and shortfalls. The new Austin board is just a start. Give us time and have patience; we're making everything better! :)

Have any of the folks here who still participate on Chowhound seen any signs that they're closer to establishing a Dallas (or DFW) board (not to mention Houston and San Antonio, both of which are also larger and better restaurant markets than Austin)?

Scott

#18 User is offline   air 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

Scott--DFW said:

Have any of the folks here who still participate on Chowhound seen any signs that they're closer to establishing a Dallas (or DFW) board (not to mention Houston and San Antonio, both of which are also larger and better restaurant markets than Austin)?

No, it doesn't look like it. Houston has pretty much completely split off into a yahoo group with a disappointingly low signal to noise ratio. Some good discussion (ie: food trends in 2010) but for the most part it is passable. San Antonio has a small handful of posters but it is slowly growing.

And wow... I didn't realize it had been three years.

#19 User is offline   DonnieC 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

Scott--DFW said:

closer to establishing a Dallas (or DFW) board

Honestly, does anyone really care?
Given the vapidity rampant on that board, more "venues" would only increase the idiot count, which is already staggering.

Posted Image
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

#20 User is offline   luniz 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

Scott--DFW said:

Three years ago, the CNET folks split the Chowhound Texas board into "Austin" and "Everything in Texas Except Austin" boards. Many Chowhounds complained of the stupidity of that decision at the time (e.g., here and here). In response to yet more complaints, Jim Leff posted the following (three years ago to the day):

Jim Leff said:

We very badly need to make geographical fixes all around. It's the thing I've long been most ashamed of about the site - one board for the Midwest? Or for the South? Yikes!

We recognize (oh, do we recognize) the gaps and shortfalls. The new Austin board is just a start. Give us time and have patience; we're making everything better! :)

Scott

Not at all. I think they've decided to leave the "geographical" divisions as they are and only add general topics (ie the relatively new 'Gardening" section). The Texas forum is only moderated at the request of users (ie report this post) which has led to a system where users "report" posts that they disagree with, and generally disinterested moderaters remove the "offensive" post without much context and with little apparent concern for lost information.

It's generally accepted now that the California, New York, and more general ("Home Cooking", "Not about food", "General Chowhounding") are worthy of individual moderating (that is, they generate many pageviews) while the other areas are pretty much left to manage themselves, which over time has/will lead to a devolving state that ends with a product very similar to Yelp. However there are still some useful videos and tips etc that are outside of the forums which can be good.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic