DallasFood.org Forums: Full Custom Gospel BBQ - DallasFood.org Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Full Custom Gospel BBQ

#1 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

Soulslinger said:

I sent a message over to BBQ Snob telling him he needs more detail and pictures, much like your posts.

Personally, I wouldn't have them change a thing. The reviews are concise, but say everything that needs to be said. Fewer photos, but they're usually enough to communicate the relevant info about the meats. The main thing, though, is they write with the authority and experience that come with eating something extensively and in its best exemplars.

If I had the self-discipline and time, I'd try to make this site a lot more like theirs.

Scott

#2 User is offline   Worzel_Gummidge 

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

I would add a map of Texas on the home page. Mark each reviewed joint with a pin. Mouse over to get more detail (maybe Google street views) and click in order to read the review.

#3 User is offline   Kirk 

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

Worzel:

Scroll to the bottom of the home page. They've already got one, and here's a link to where the full map resides.

#4 User is offline   Worzel_Gummidge 

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

That was quick. I only suggested it this morning. :)

#5 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

FCGBBQ now has an e-commerce site for all your merchandise needs. (Just ordered a t-shirt for myself.)

As far as I can tell, that makes FCGBBQ the second food blog in Dallas to sell t-shirts. Okay, maybe they're the first to actually sell t-shirts. Though the DallasFood.org Tienda Electrónica has been in operation for years, I don't believe anyone has purchased a t-shirt yet.

Scott

#6 User is offline   Daniel 

• LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

I talked with Tex last month, and he said he still had all the info from his reviews in the "vaults", and he might release an anniversary edition at some point.

Where are the DallasFood shirts? I'll buy one.

- BBQ Snob

#7 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Daniel said:

Where are the DallasFood shirts? I'll buy one.

Click on any armadillo logo in an article and it'll take you to the store. (I would suggest you find a better way to spend your money, though.)

Scott

#8 User is offline   Kirk 

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

Scott:

Aren't you afraid that restaurant owners will recognize you, now that you have included your own photo at La Tienda de DallasFood.org?

Is there any truth to the rumor that the owners of N9ne Group have bought out the entire series?

#9 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

Kirk said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that the owners of N9ne Group have bought out the entire series?

I'll let you know if I see any on the shelves of the Cash America that's taking over the erstwhile LFT space in Victory Park.

Scott

#10 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

BBQ Snob appears in a travel feature on CNN.com today.

The guy just had a baby a couple of weeks ago, but is still cranking out the reports on Full Custom Gospel BBQ. Amazing.

Scott

#11 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

BBQ Snob kicking ass and taking names: a profile in the DMN and a featured blogger on Urbanspoon.

I don't know if he already has a book contract, but that seems like the logical next step.

Scott

#12 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

BBQ Snob gives out his first six-star rating.

Scott

#13 User is offline   FatCap 

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

Scott--DFW said:

BBQ Snob gives out his first six-star rating.

Scott

I would concur (and I don't always agree with BBQ Snob). I've tried Franklin 4 times now. They've nailed every meat every time. Brisket ranks with Snow's as the finest in the State. BBQ Snob's description of it as "glorious" is very apropos. Having just tasted Snow's earlier this year and finding that version the best I'd ever had, if I had to pick, I'd now give that edge to Franklin (especially since Franklin's open more than one day a week). Ribs rank with Smitty's as best in the State. Sausage is, in my book, a notch below Smitty's and Luling City Market, perhaps even Kreuz's, mostly on texture, but tasty nonetheless. Pulled pork is superbly moist and intensely flavored, especially when paired with that espresso sauce.

For Central TX bbq, Franklin is my current State champion....and waaaaayyyy more convenient, when I'm in Austin for business, than driving to Lockhart. I'm looking forward to them being in a permanent building. hopefully with extended hours of business.

Now, if I can just talk them into doing a prime rib, too...

#14 User is offline   luniz 

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

well it better be on our list for the spring.

#15 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

FCGBBQ in the NYT.

Scott

#16 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

The local CBS affiliate is having a popularity contest for DFW's "Most Valuable Bloggers." You can vote once daily from now until September 9th. I'll be voting daily for Daniel Vaughn of Full Custom Gospel BBQ. He has single-handedly transformed local media coverage of barbecue (whether they wish to admit it or not). He's knowledgeable, hard-working, passionate, fair-minded, and ethical--a model for any would-be food journalist.

If you've benefited from Daniel Vaughn's work (i.e., if in the past three years you've eaten barbecue in Dallas that didn't totally suck), consider throwing some votes his way.

Scott

#17 User is offline   Scagnetti 

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Done.

#18 User is offline   smurfjuggler 

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Absolutely, I check in with his blog daily.

#19 User is offline   DonnieC 

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

So our favorite BBQ fiend and local swell guy, Daniel Vaughn is now inching his way towards your television set, it seems.
It has to be next on his resume given his new partnership with Anthony Bourdain.

To wit, from Eater:

The first three books from Anthony Bourdain's new Ecco line have been announced... First, a book from Los Angeles' food truck king Roy Choi called Spaghetti Junction: Riding Shotgun with an L.A. Chef, a "memoir-cum-cookbook [that] explores the street food of the city of Los Angeles." It will be Choi's first book.

Next up, Prophets of Smoked Meat by Texas barbecue blogger Daniel Vaughn, "a passionate full-color tour through and definitive guide to the best of classic Texas barbeque, featuring recipes for all the smokehouse classics and sides."

Last September came this:

Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, announced today that it will begin a new relationship with No Reservations television host and bestselling author of Kitchen Confidential and Medium Raw, Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain will have an eponymous line of books at Ecco that will publish three to five titles a year. With his vast experiences across the globe and his wealth of connections, Bourdain will acquire books that reflect his remarkably eclectic tastes.

The establishment of this line was negotiated by Daniel Halpern, President and Publisher of Ecco, and Bourdain’s literary agent, Kim Witherspoon of Inkwell Management. Halpern says, “I’m extremely excited to be working with Tony as he begins yet another journey into new territory – the publishing world. His Kitchen Confidential (in paperback) was one of the first books we published at Ecco as an imprint of HarperCollins a decade ago. As an informal (over the table) advisor to me during this time, his intuition has been unerring – suggesting such authors as Ferran Adria and Fergus Henderson. Now he’s becoming one of us, sort of.”

"I'm doing this because...I can,” says Bourdain. “Anyone who loves books, I think, given the opportunity to work with a legendary character like Daniel Halpern, would jump at the chance. Like me, he's passionate about words, about food, about the broad range of experiences out there – and I know from my own experience, that he's crazy enough to take a chance on authors whom others have either overlooked or avoided. From my privileged vantage point, I've encountered a lot of extraordinary people with exciting things to say. This is a chance to get those voices heard. We look forward to publishing an unusual mix of new authors, existing works, neglected or under-appreciated masterworks, and translations of people from elsewhere who we think are just too damned brilliant not to be available in English. We're presently looking at an initial list composed of chefs, enthusiasts, fighters, musicians and dead essayists. And we're looking to publish them in a way that's both accessible and respectful of the power of the written word – and appropriately fetishistic about the tactile joys of the printed page."

I've always been a big, big fan of fetishistic books. At least the pictures.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

#20 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostDonnieC, on 22 February 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

So our favorite BBQ fiend and local swell guy, Daniel Vaughn is now inching his way towards your television set, it seems.

Or a theater near you. Multimedia domination. Not bad for "merely a blogger."

Scott

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic