DallasFood.org Forums: Some good housing news... - DallasFood.org Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some good housing news...

#1 User is offline   Worzel_Gummidge 

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

One house that we should be glad to see go down in price is The New House of the Pope. Better known as Chateauneuf du Pape. The Euro is down 20% and the 2007 wine vintage is described thus in one wine newsletter:

"Robert Parker's notes and scores for the 2007 vintage outside Chateauneuf have just landed on our doormat. Whilst he described it as "the finest vintage I have ever tasted in Chateauneuf-du-Pape" he goes on to call it "the most successful area in France" with "fabulous bargains for shrewd consumers looking for delicious wines".

#2 User is offline   gavlist 

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

Worzel,

while Rhones in general are pretty good bargains, Chateauneuf du Pape tend to be priced at the higher end of the range. Do you know if Parker's recommendation extends to other, less pricey, southern Rhones? Cote du Rhone is sort of the generic catchall for Rhones that don't meet other AOC requirements... and are correspondingly priced. Are they also particularly great in 2007? Any advice for Rhones that would fall in between (I know the names, but not the relative prices and quality)?

#3 User is offline   Worzel_Gummidge 

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

Just saw your reply. I will check.

#4 User is offline   Worzel_Gummidge 

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

gavlist said:

Worzel,

while Rhones in general are pretty good bargains, Chateauneuf du Pape tend to be priced at the higher end of the range. Do you know if Parker's recommendation extends to other, less pricey, southern Rhones?

I checked a couple of sources. Parker calls southern Rhone in most non-CdeP appellations a "terrific vintage" and the wines "fabulous bargains" in a massive report in Issue 181 (Feb. 2009) of his newsletter. The easiest way to get this is probably to sign up at http://www.eRobertParker.com.

Jancis Robinson is also enthusiastic here. She actually says southern Rhone appears to be the best French region in 2007! Not so the north.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic