• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bad BBQ in Big D

#21 User is offline   irodguy 

• LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

There is decent bbq to be had in the metroplex but not really Dallas. In Lavon Big Daddy's BBQ http://www.bigdaddysroadhousebbq.com/. Not Smitty's but very good for this part of Texas.

Also Lake Way Smokehouse funny enough not all that far from Big Daddy's near Wylie.
http://www.bigdaddysroadhousebbq.com/. We have actually gone there for lunch from my office, yes about a 2 hour lunch but worth it.
Never trust a skinny chef

#22 User is offline   Daniel 

• LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

adkim said:

I had the exact same letdown today at Soulman's BBQ today. The brisket was so tender and mosit. Going through the line to pay, I probably looked ridiculous while staring at my plate, grinning and shaking my head.

Got to the table. Took some pictures. Got my napkins in place. First few seconds was euphoric, letting the brisket melt away in my mouth. But when my tastebuds couldn't get in on the fun, well...it was a bummer.

I had the exact same experience at Soulman's last week. It looked good, the texture was great, the slices were moist, but the flavor just never kicked in. Too bad.

Smokey John's on Mockingbird just west of Inwood has always been solid choice for me.

- BBQ Snob

#23 User is offline   joiei 

• LocationMidtown - Creek Nation - Indian Territory

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

I had lunch yesterday at Lockhart Smokehouse in Oak Cliff, the fatty brisket was the best I had all weekend. I had been in Austin to judge a KCBS event and the samples we had at our table were mostly average, nothing special. This fatty had a nice mild smoke flavor, the brisket was tender, the bark that I had was very flavorful. I also ordered the sausage and it was okay, the flavor was okay but I didn't care for the texture. Now the Beans were a thing of beauty indeed. The guy back at the pits was really nice.
A mole is also not about the protein served in it or with it. It is all about the beauty of the sauce. Iliana de la Vega

#24 User is offline   DallasNative 

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

View Posttxaggie, on 03 February 2009 - 11:08 AM, said:

There are a number of great places about 4 hours north on I45. :D

Leave it to an aggy to try and give directions. :) I-45 ends in Dallas and only goes South. I-35 South is where most of the good stuff is.

In the metroplex, David's in Pantego (Arlington suburb) is the best in my opinion. When Lockhart's is on, it is legit as well.

Original poster: Never judge off of a chopped beef sammich. Yikes!

#25 User is offline   twinwillow 

• LocationDallas

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

View Postjoiei, on 16 May 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

I had lunch yesterday at Lockhart Smokehouse in Oak Cliff, the fatty brisket was the best I had all weekend. I had been in Austin to judge a KCBS event and the samples we had at our table were mostly average, nothing special. This fatty had a nice mild smoke flavor, the brisket was tender, the bark that I had was very flavorful. I also ordered the sausage and it was okay, the flavor was okay but I didn't care for the texture. Now the Beans were a thing of beauty indeed. The guy back at the pits was really nice.

I must agree. Lockhart Smokehouse seems to be getting better with every visit. But, it sure ain't cheap!

This post has been edited by twinwillow: 23 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

"If Sonny Corleone had a Toll Tag, he'd still be alive"

#26 User is offline   DonnieC 

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

Certain participants on DF have been known to check the woodpile at the original Sonny Bryan's
to see if they really smoke their meats. The verdict I believe was that the smoke was just for show.
However, there now appears to be a new method in use at Sonny's. It isn't conventional but
it is perhaps a step in the right direction.

Teresa Gubbins reports...Sonny's
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic