DallasFood.org Forums: Bad BBQ in Big D - DallasFood.org Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bad BBQ in Big D

#1 User is offline   MrEd 

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

Is it me or is there no good BBQ in Dallas?

I've tried the chains. I've tried the independents. Good God it's bad out there.

Today, I went to the original Sonny Bryan's on Inwood. After reading so many posts of how this was the best BBQ in town I thought I would give it a try.

I ordered a chopped brisket sandwich. OMG. Apparently, they used the burnt end of the brisket. It was like beef jerky on a bun. Drier than West Texas. No amount of sauce could have salvaged that thing. I could only eat about half of it before I threw it in the trash. I have also tried the Sonny Bryan's on Forest Lane and pretty much had the same luck. How do these guys stay in business??

Can anyone recommend a good place for BBQ in Dallas? For Christs sakes, this is Texas.

#2 User is offline   twinwillow 

• LocationDallas

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

My dear, MrEd. I feel your pain. I must lament, you are so right. There really isn't any credible BBQ in Dallas.
However, that said, I would recommend you try Baker's Ribs.
Their Greenville Avenue location-only! Their ribs are excellent-most of the time. And, their pulled pork is excellent-most of the time. And as any lover of BBQ knows, go only at high meal times. Lunch or dinner. Sooner is OK but, never, later.
Let us know. Btw, I've found Baker's Ribs brisket to be not as good as their ribs and pulled pork. If you do order the brisket, be sure to ask for a fatty piece. It's the only way to go.

#3 User is offline   Ralphy 

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

I think the brisquet is pretty good at BackCountry (greenvile avenue), although I don't like the set up in which the food prepration is behind a rather tall service counter, thus hiding the meat as it is being sliced, chopped and otherwise prepared.

I only go there for lunch and their chopped beef.

#4 User is offline   txaggie 

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

There are a number of great places about 4 hours north on I45. :D

#5 User is offline   txaggie 

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Seriously, there are a couple of decent places. There is one on Industrial close to downtown, BW's I believe.

#6 User is offline   Scagnetti 

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

Try this place.

Big Al's Smokehouse
3125 Inwood Road
Dallas, Texas 75235

#7 User is offline   kyleWilliam 

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

Agree that Baker's & Back Country are good. The moist brisket at Rudy's in Frisco is good, at least by Dallas standards. I tried the brisket at Mac's Barbecue and it was pretty dry.

#8 User is offline   kindofabigdeal 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

txaggie said:

There are a number of great places about 4 hours north on I45. :D

Is this a magical location? Maybe a rhetorical point about the non-extistence of good BBQ?

#9 User is offline   bsnelson 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Scagnetti said:

Try this place.

Big Al's Smokehouse
3125 Inwood Road
Dallas, Texas 75235
I concur with this one. I've had several good meals here.

I used to sing the praises of the smokehouse in Whole Foods Market in Plano, but the brisket I purchased last week was very weak on the smoke; I suspect they use a gas smoker with a wood box, and they started cutting down on the wood. I'll visit again in a week or two to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Maybe it's best for my cholesterol that Lockhart is a few hours away. :D

Brad

#10 User is offline   twinwillow 

• LocationDallas

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

I'm afraid your not going to find any memorable BBQ in Dallas. I used to like Big Al's but lately I've been very, very disappointed.
Other than a trip to Lockhart (Austin area) for the incredibly good BBQ at Louis Mueller's, I would stay with Bakers Ribs on Greenville Avenue as I suggested above or, you can also try Spring Creek BBQ in one of their Dallas or Richardson locations. The one at Preston and LBJ (S/W corner) is pretty good.

#11 User is offline   joiei 

• LocationMidtown - Creek Nation - Indian Territory

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Angus Pit BBQ in Calera, Oklahoma is a heck of a lot closer and if you go don't forget to bring back some bbq prime rib for Theabroma. Either that or the tri-tip.
A mole is also not about the protein served in it or with it. It is all about the beauty of the sauce. Iliana de la Vega

#12 User is offline   ikirumata 

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

I think Angus Pit Stop is now closed :D My co-worker drove by not too long ago and said the windows were boarded up.

#13 User is offline   c-bass 

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Mr. Ed,

This site can be a little hard to navigate (no offense, Scott), but if you scroll down to the bottom on the main home page screen, and find the area that says something like '119 stories', you'll find an option that will allow you to go other pages. Go all the way to the beginning of DallasFood time by clicking on number 12, and you'll find a series of articles by Scott on the local BBQ scene. There may be an easier way to find the articles, but if so, I haven't found it.

The series called "DFW Quest for 'Cue" unfolds over several pages. It's a little outdated now, but I think you'll find it well worth your time. At least I did.

By the way, if you haven't tried Baby Back Shak, you should add it to your list.

#14 User is offline   hammy 

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

I almost almost sad to agree with most of this string. I do enjoy Spring Creek in the original Richardson location, but only go when there is a coupon in ADVO. I grew up on the ribs, and used to love them. Now the portions are smaller, the prices higher. For some reason I remembered them being of beef--but I must have been wrong. I only eat the ribs--the rest is just a waste of time. I do love the refillable sides. I can glutton on the sweet pot salad, red onions, japs and Dr. Pepper for hours. Hours.

I prefer beef ribs--but the are hard to make tender--even harder to find in a restaurant.

Louis Mueller's is by far the best I've ever had. I go there every July (Texas Heatwave). I always eat in and take as much as I can afford back to Dally. ((The first time I pulled off the highway about an hour after eating in, and wiped out my to-go reserves)) The dipping sauce is so neat--thin as water, black pepper and tomatoey--basic yet totally mysterious.
I plan a side trip to Lockhart this summer...feel like I have missed Mecca due to all of the press.

Has anyone ever been to Risky's in FtWorth??

#15 User is offline   twinwillow 

• LocationDallas

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Lucky me! This coming Wednesday, my son will be driving up to Dallas from his home in Austin. He's stopping off in Taylor to do a "load up" at Louis Mueller's.
My moth is watering already in anticipation.

#16 User is offline   twinwillow 

• LocationDallas

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

twinwillow said:

Lucky me! This coming Wednesday, my son will be driving up to Dallas from his home in Austin. He's stopping off in Taylor to do a "load up" at Louis Mueller's.
My mouth is watering already in anticipation.

#17 User is offline   Worzel_Gummidge 

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

twinwillow said:

twinwillow said:

My mouth is watering already in anticipation.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I just got a call from your cardiologist. He says the closest you can get to this is a color picture and that all said barbeque should be surrendered to me.

#18 User is offline   bsnelson 

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

Sorry to bump the old thread and even sorrier for what I have to say: I think Whole Foods (at least in Plano) is dead on the BBQ department. I said back in February that my last sample had been lacking in smoke; today, I got a 1/4 lb of brisket that, while quite moist and having a good texture, was almost totally devoid of smoke and had no visible smoke ring. I'm very disappointed; they were doing SO good for a while. Great smoke ring, great smoke taste. But no more. Apparently, wood is too expensive.

Brad

#19 User is offline   adkim 

• Locationomnipresent

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

I had the exact same letdown today at Soulman's BBQ today. The brisket was so tender and mosit. Going through the line to pay, I probably looked ridiculous while staring at my plate, grinning and shaking my head.

Got to the table. Took some pictures. Got my napkins in place. First few seconds was euphoric, letting the brisket melt away in my mouth. But when my tastebuds couldn't get in on the fun, well...it was a bummer.

#20 User is offline   ikirumata 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

I have tried a lot of BBQ places around Dallas...Big Als, Hard8 (coppell and Stephenville), Rudy's, Up in Smoke, Fred's, Spring Creek, Colters, Dickey's...For me, the best brisket is found in Keller TX at the Cousin's BBQ shack off of Keller Parkway, a few blocks east of 377.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic