• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stuertz Replaced!

#1 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

Bill Addison reports on the Belo Eats Blog that Dave Faries will take Mark Stuertz's place at the Dallas Observer. While this is the sort of news one might expect another outlet to break--say, the Dallas Observer--it looks like Addison beat them to the punch.

Scott

#2 User is offline   Kirk 

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

For the record: The goal is wide open, the shot/joke is an easy one, but I have elected not to take it.

#3 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

Faries's first post-Prague review (of Second Floor) appeared this week. I still don't recall ever seeing any kind of announcement from the Dallas Observer, which seems a little odd.

Scott

#4 User is offline   BK 

• LocationDallas

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Yes, indeed it's odd.

Have to agree with that disappearing tuna -- I thought the same when there.

#5 User is offline   Worzel_Gummidge 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:19 PM

Scott--DFW said:

Faries's first post-Prague review (of Second Floor) appeared this week.
Scott

"Those perfect touches become nagging—the exact pappardelle, melt-away tuna, juicy burger and day boat scallops seared on each side to a point just centimeters (sorry, learned that in Europe) beyond the elusive point where the heat barely touches in the middle."

That scallop would be a hockey puck. He means millimetres (sorry, learned that in math class).

#6 User is offline   donnaaries 

• LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Haha, apparently the Europeans don't teach math too well.

#7 User is offline   Kirk 

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

Neither do Americans, according to this.

The United States is failing to develop the math skills of both girls and boys, especially among those who could excel at the highest levels, a new study asserts, and girls who do succeed in the field are almost all immigrants or the daughters of immigrants from countries where mathematics is more highly valued.

The study suggests that while many girls have exceptional talent in math — the talent to become top math researchers, scientists and engineers — they are rarely identified in the United States. A major reason, according to the study, is that American culture does not highly value talent in math, and so discourages girls — and boys, for that matter — from excelling in the field.

#8 User is offline   donnaaries 

• LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

Sadly I'm completely aware of the issue (being a female engineer). It's a difficult societal steretype to overcome, but organizations like Society of Women Engineers do a lot of extensive outreach work to get girls involved in math and science. Typically, the 13-14 age range is where you "lose 'em forever." So our outreach programs are usually focused at getting middle school aged girls to keep the track with their interest in math and science.

#9 User is offline   carolyn 

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

Kirk said:

For the record: The goal is wide open, the shot/joke is an easy one, but I have elected not to take it.

Congrats on not making a homophobic slur! It seems that this is likely a big leap for you. I'm sure your mother is proud.

#10 User is offline   Kirk 

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Carolyn, I am known far and wide for my restraint. And for being homophobic.

#11 User is offline   BK 

• LocationDallas

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

Not to mention he's a raging homosapien, too.

#12 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

Faries is leaving the Dallas Observer.

Scott

#13 User is offline   luniz 

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

And now he's leaving. Does it make me sexist to say I hope they don't replace him with a chick?

#14 User is offline   Kirk 

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:18 PM

luniz said:

Does it make me sexist to say I hope they don't replace him with a chick?

Yes.

#15 User is offline   tgubbins 

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

no kirk, luniz is right. there's something inherently more authoritative about a male voice. when women express their opinions, they sound shrill and nagging [and i say this even though i AM one! ha haha]

during the 90s heyday when i worked there, the dallas morning news had 12 critics on staff: film, music, pop culture, theater, books. out of those 12, two were female: a second-tier film critic (not the top spot, of course), and the dining critic. and i always thought to myself, well that's certainly novel but why let a GIRL do that? surely there are more-qualified males they could find. (and really, any male would automatically be more qualified.) what a relief when they hired Bill Addison. FINALLY! someone with a penis who could give food criticism the same kind of manly authority that the paper gives to all of the other disciplines. (and look how well it's worked out for them.)

i get so tired of these females (or as Luniz puts it, "chicks," although i think i'd just go with "bimbos") dominating the food criticism world. let's get some testosterone in the field, hell yeah

#16 User is offline   Kirk 

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

TG:

To quote my favorite author of chick-crit: "you win my personal prize for best comment ever."

#17 User is offline   luniz 

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

thanks TG you summed it all up nicely for me. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Leonard Nimoy, Bill Shatner duo for the position. You know who else would make a great reviewer? Jerry Jones.

#18 User is offline   BK 

• LocationDallas

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hell yea! This is Texas, after all. Women should know their place, like TG does.

#19 User is offline   luniz 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

Well I lost :) Apparently the "new" critic is a chick after all. One Elaine Liner, formerly a fim/theater critic. Mentions draperies in the first paragraph :mrgreen: She likes commas, long sentences, and probably walks on the beach. Does a good job describing the furniture and a poor job describing the protein.

Apparently, if I want to read about meat, the best I'm going to do is to reread old reviews. Poor me.

#20 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

luniz said:

Well I lost :mrgreen: Apparently the "new" critic is a chick after all. One Elaine Liner, formerly a film/theater critic.

Don't burn your jock strap just yet, Luniz. Liner has contributed restaurant reviews at the Observer many times over the past few years (most of them before Faries returned). Absent an announcement, it's too early to tell if she's a replacement or (as I suspect) just a temporary sub.

Scott

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic