DallasFood.org Forums: DallasFood Hacked? - DallasFood.org Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DallasFood Hacked?

#1 User is offline   Scott 

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

The "scores" for the various Noka reports plummeted overnight from near 5 stars to 1.5-2.6 stars, in most cases.

One explanation for this would be that--after garnering about eighty 5-star votes over the course of 16 days (and days with much higher traffic to the site)--more than a hundred people voted on Part 3 last night, with each of those voters deciding that the report had so little merit that it deserved one star.

The better explanation for the sudden tide of "one star" votes seems to be the use of a bot that votes on a report, clears cookies, and revotes ad infinitum.

Someone really dislikes the Noka reports.

Scott

#2 User is offline   davidBZ 

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:59 PM

Aside from your own ability to gauge the popularity of your reports, do the article ratings really serve any useful purpose anyway? I mean, what was somebody really trying to accomplish? Did they think that if they got the rating low enough, nobody would bother to read the report?

#3 User is offline   tgubbins 

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

i confess, i've hardly even looked at or noticed the ratings. it's pretty funny that someone would find it worth her (heh) or his time to alter them. can i manufacture my own little bot and go in and give a couple hundred 5-star ratings? like a little episode from Tron

#4 User is offline   Davydd 

• LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:59 PM

I did not even notice there was a score attached to the series. From what I can read this series on Noka drew a lot of first time response new members to DallasFood and most all seem to be very positive toward the article. Oddly, I was attracted to DallasFood.org because of Scott's posting about CFS on the Roguefood.com board. The Noka article was a sweet surprise. :)

#5 User is offline   Zin-Gal 

• LocationEast Dallas

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

Scott,

Perhaps we need one of those crazy letter blocks that we have to decypher and type in to prevent the "bot votes".

Have great holidays! Great Writing!

#6 User is offline   davidBZ 

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

The ghastly name for that contraption is ...

... wait for it ...

"captcha"

Whoever thought up that name must still be smugly amused with himself.

#7 User is offline   rsynnott 

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:42 PM

I recently posted a link to this rather interesting story on my blog.

Almost immediately, there was a rather dismissive comment, from a Ft. Worth ISP. Thought you might be interested...

#8 User is offline   Zin-Gal 

• LocationEast Dallas

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

DavidBZ,

I learn more stuff on this site, from chocolate and chicken fried steak to computer geeky stuff.

Thanks for the update on that. It's a shame that folks have to resort to such shinnanigans... rather like "Hacking Democracy" but on the trivial side of things.

Hope you all have a great New Year's. Practice your Captcha! :roll:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic